Beef Brisket In Cider Recipe
- 1.25kg/2¾lb lean beef brisket joint
- 15ml/1tbsp oil
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 eating apples, cut in half
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5ml/1tsp ground ginger
- 150ml/¼pint cider
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Heat the oil in a large lidded casserole dish and brown the beef on all sides. Add the onions, apples, cinnamon stick and ground ginger to the pan. Pour over the cider, cover and simmer on hob or in a preheated oven at for calculated cooking time.
- Serve hot or leave to cool gradually in the cider liquor.
- Meanwhile make the chutney, place the rhubarb, apple, ground ginger, cider, and the mead (if mead not available use all cider or apple juice) and the cinnamon stick in a pan. Cook over a gentle heat for 5-10 minutes until softened. Add a little sugar to taste if necessary.
- Serve thinly sliced with salad or in sandwiches with the apple and rhubarb chutney. Alternatively, serve hot with potatoes and seasonal vegetables with the sauce as a thin gravy.